Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Socks and Sweaters



Greetings!!!


These socks have been done for over a week. I had my nieces for 4 days last week while their Dad attended some continuing education classes for his job. Needless to say at their bedtime, I was ready too! These are are made out of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, color Vera. The pattern is Knitting Pure and Simple's Boot Socks. Pattern #998. Very simple. Good for beginners.




These are Avalon Fiber Arts. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Whisper. It was fun to make these. Why I have such a mental block about knitting socks, I don't know. They are so portable. My feet just love hand knit socks, but my heart just isn't in it. BUT I'm going to keep on trying! I'm thinking about taking a new sock project my trip to TNNA this weekend.


TNNA is The National Needle Arts Association. It is for people in the business. This is a trade show where I meet up with my vendors and see what is new. I also plan on spending a lot of time of members of the Association of Knitwear Designers. We talk so much over email, it is good to look each other in the eye occasionally!


This week was busy getting 2 newsletters published. I am the editor for our local Fiber Arts Guild and this issue contains voting ballots and membership renewal forms.....128 newsletters. Those should mail today. The other newsletter is the Association of Knitwear Designers. The pdf version for members is complete. Now I have to print paper copies for those who cannot (or will not ???) download the pdf version. Paper copies are no fun get out. Hopefully I'll print those today and mail tomorrow.

Which brings me to a rant. . . . may I? Despite all the frownys and refusal to acknowledge or use the internet, it is here to stay. If you are reading this, then you are not one of those who I take issue with! So if someone is a member of a national group, then communications via the internet is not only esssential, it is close to being the only way to be a part of a organization! So buck up my ladies. Get your little black book together and write down your usernames and passwords! Things will work much easier this way!

On Friday morning, I board a plane for Columbus, Ohio, for the summer TNNA trade show. I fly in on Friday and back out on Monday. A very fast trip. Most chores are on schedule. But I am dismayed to find myself under the weather with a cold. Feels like the same one that hit me over the winter. But, not quite so bad. At least I managed to nab first class tickets. I hate traveling in the cattle car! So being in first class will not only not make it worse, but maybe even be comfortable enough that I can get some healing rest!

New project!! After many years of yearning for a summer sweater, I chose Knitting Pure and Simple's Neckdown Summer Sweater pattern #221. ( it is the very last pattern on this page.) A very simple pattern. Knits up fast. But to make it not so plain, I am knitting it in Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb in Navy. Knitting with a wonderful yarn and pattern that is easy and enjoyable....I like that! I'm hoping it does not end up too small. I didn't want an oversized sweater for the summer. And this sweater would look cute buttoned up and used as a pullover. So I went with the smaller size. I've noticed that when I knit from patterns, even when my gauge is perfect, the overall fit is too big. Therefore, I've come to the conclusion for softly knit, hand knit sweaters, the ease needs to be less. I'm putting that theory to test with this project. I'm taking this on my trip this weekend. Somes alot of knitting gets done on trips, and sometimes the needles aren't even picked up! But flying is made for knitting!

See you next week!!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Lovin' the lace socks...totally itching to cast-on!!